National Museum of Cambodia

National Museum of Cambodia

(Image from Wikipedia)

The history of the National Museum of Cambodia goes back to the early 20th century. It was inaugurated on 13 April 1920 under the patronage of King Sisowath and the French Resident Francois Baudoin, and was named Musee Albert Sarraut after the Governor General of Indochina. The French archaeologist George Groslier (1887-1945) was the prime force in the establishment of the museum and he also designed the museum building. In 1951, the control of the Museum was handed to the Cambodians and in 1966, the first Cambodia Director, Chea Thay Seng was appointed.  During the period of Khmer Rouge control, the museum was closed from 1975 to 1979. It suffered neglect and many staff members lost their lives. After liberation, the museum was quickly tidied up and  reopened on the 13 April 1979.

The museum houses one of the world’s greatest collections of Khmer cultural artefacts including sculpture, ceramics and ethnographic objects from the prehistoric, pre-Angkorian, Angkorian and post-Angkorian periods.

The Museum promotes awareness, understanding and appreciation of Cambodias heritage through the presentation, conservation, safekeeping, interpretation and acquisition of Cambodian cultural material. It aims to educate and inspire its visitors.

The Museum believes that Cambodia’s cultural heritage is of great value and can provide a source of pride and identity to the Cambodian people who have lost so much in recent decades.

Collection Size: about 14,000 objects

 View all Asia-Europe Museum Network  members from Cambodia

Be informed of the Latest Projects, News and Events